What am I going to say?
I know they're writing ghost stories, and the teacher said many of the students believe only blood and guts is scary stuff. Hhmmm...
I think I need to talk about the elements you need to include to create a good scary story.
- Suspense -- You want your story to create a feeling of excitement, anxiety or even fear.
- Plot Twist -- Don't take the story in the direction everyone expects it to go.
- Conflict -- You have to have a central problem that your characters have to solve.
- Setting -- Take a normal, ordinary setting and have something unexpected happen.
- Surprise ending -- Give your readers an ending they didn't expect.